Colonel Eric Mejia is the Staff Judge Advocate, Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Georgia. As the staff judge advocate, he is the principal legal adviser to the Commander, Air Force Reserve Command, and headquarters staff on matters of military justice, ethics, environmental law, labor law, contract & fiscal law, administrative law, and operations law.
Following five years as a civilian attorney, Mejia accepted a commission into the USAF in 1994. He is a member of the State Bar of Arkansas, and is admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of Arkansas, the United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas, the United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, and the United States Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals.
1986 Bachelor of Science Degree, Arkansas State University, Ark.
1989 Juris Doctor, University of Arkansas at Little Rock
1999 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2004 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Distinguished Graduate, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 Master of Strategic Studies, Highest Academic Distinction, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. June 1994 – May 1996, Chief, Preventive Law/Legal Assistance and Chief of Justice, 21st Space Wing, Peterson AFB, Colo.
2. May 1996 – July 1997, Area Defense Counsel, Peterson AFB and Falcon AFB, Colo.
3. July 1997 – June 2000, Chief, Civil Law and Chief of Claims, 2d Bomb Wing, Barksdale AFB, La.
(June – October 1998, Deployed Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, Prince Sultan AB, Saudi Arabia)
4. June 2000 – August 2003, Instructor, Air Force Judge Advocate General School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
5. August 2003 – July 2004, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. July 2004 – July 2007, Staff Judge Advocate, 420th Air Base Group, RAF Fairford, UK
(September 2006 – January 2007, Deployed Deputy LEGAD, NATO HQ Sarajevo BiH)
7. July 2007 – June 2010, AFLOA/JAJM, Chief, Military Justice and Court Activities Branch,
Bolling AFB, DC (May – November 2008, Deployed Chief, Judicial Unit, Forward Operating Base Shield, Iraq)
8. July 2010 – July 2012, Staff Judge Advocate, 97th Air Mobility Wing, Altus AFB, Okla.
9. July 2012 – June 2013, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. June 2013 – July 2015, Staff Judge Advocate, 96th Test Wing, Eglin AFB, Fla.
11. July 2015 – July 2017, Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters 8th Air Force, Barksdale AFB, La.
12. July 2017 – Oct 2019, Staff Judge Advocate, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
13. Oct 2019 – Aug 2022, Staff Judge Advocate, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patt AFB, Ohio
14. Aug 2022 – Present, Staff Judge Advocate, Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit Medal
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
AFMC’s Legal Office of Year (2014, 2015)
Air Force Cyber Award (2013)
USAFE’s Dr. Richard S. Schubert Award (USAFE Legal Office of the Year) (2006)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
First Lieutenant May 31, 1994
Captain December 2, 1994
Major Jan 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel October 1, 2007
Colonel August 1, 2012
(Current as of August 2022)