Brig. Gen. Michael T. Schultz is the Director of Operations, Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins Air Force Base, Georgia. He is responsible for directing Reserve operations for 69 reserve flying units and 10 operational space units gained by eight major commands to fulfill commitments in support of U.S. national objectives. The directorate oversees all Reserve operational assets and capabilities to include tactical fighter, aerial refueling, strategic airlift, special operations, combat rescue, hurricane surveillance, aeromedical evacuation, aerial spray and modular airborne fire-fighting capability.
Brig. Gen. Schultz earned his Bachelors of Business Administration degree and received his commission through ROTC from Angelo State University, Texas. He began his career as a missile launch officer in 1991, before being selected for Undergraduate Pilot Training in 1995 at Reese AFB, Texas. Brig. Gen. Schultz transitioned into the Air Force Reserve in 2006 after 14 years in active duty. He served in various operations capacities at the squadron, group and Headquarters Air Force levels, has flown combat missions in operations Southern Watch and Enduring Freedom, and deployed to provide Theater Support for South Korea.
Prior to his current assignment, Brig. Gen. Schultz served as the Inspector General, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins Air Force Base, Georgia. He provided the command's leadership with an independent assessment of unit readiness and compliance within established directives, evaluated leadership effectiveness, management performance, aspects of unit culture and command climate and the ability to minimize waste and prevent fraud and abuse. He also ensured the existence of responsive inquiry and complaint resolution characterized by objectivity, integrity and impartiality.
Brig. Gen. Schultz is a command pilot with more than 3,085 flying hours.
1991 Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, Angelo State University, San Angelo, Texas
1998 Joint Firepower Control Course, Distinguished Graduate
1999 Joint Air Operations Planning Course
1999 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2006 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2014 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2016 Masters of Science, Leadership, Trident University, Cypress, Calif.
1. March 1992–August 1992, Missile Combat Crew Training, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
2. August 1992–December 1995, Missile Combat Crew, Deputy, Commander; Instructor, Evaluator, 446th Missile Squadron, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
3. December 1995–January 1997, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Reese AFB, Texas
4. January 1997–May 1997, pipeline training, various locations
5. June 1997–November 1998, A-10 Fighter Training Unit, 357th Fighter Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
6. November 1998–July 2000, A-10 Pilot, Scheduler, Chief Battalion Air Liaison Officer, 354th Fighter Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
7. July 2000–June 2003, AT-38 Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, Sheppard AFB, Texas
8. July 2003–September 2003, A-10 Requalification, 47th Fighter Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
9. October 2003–October 2004, A-10 Pilot, Assistant Director of Operations 25th Fighter Squadron, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea
10. November 2004–July 2006, A-10 Instructor Pilot, Assistant Director of Operations, 358th Fighter Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
11. August 2006–August 2010, A-10 Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, Chief of Scheduling, Evaluator, Chief of Group Standardization and Evaluation, 47th Fighter Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
12. August 2010–February 2014, Director of Operations, 76th Fighter Squadron, Moody AFB, Ga.
13. February 2014–September 2015, Deputy Division Chief Total Force Enterprise, Headquarters Air Force/A8XF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
14. September 2015–October 2017, Commander, 476th Fighter Group, Moody AFB, Ga.
15. October 2017–September 2019, Commander, 926th Wing, Nellis AFB, Nev.
16. September 2019–December 2021, Commander, 442nd Fighter Wing, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
17. December 2021–August 2022, Inspector General, Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
18.August 2022-present, Director of Operations, Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,085 hours
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, AT-38, A-10A, A-10A+, and A-10C
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with silver leaf cluster
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Aug. 16, 1991
First Lieutenant Feb. 23, 1993
Captain Feb. 23, 1995
Major Oct. 1, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 1, 2008
Colonel Sept. 5, 2015
Brigadier General April 29, 2021
(Current as of August 2022)