PRINT | E-MAIL
Col. Sean C. Bittner is the Director of Safety for Headquarters, Air Force Reserve Command, Robins Air Force Base, Ga. He is responsible for all aspects of the command's flight, ground, and weapons safety/mishap prevention programs. He also advises AFRC leadership on matters related to risk management and nuclear surety. Colonel Bittner provides safety oversight for 35 wings, 10 independent groups, and 70,000 AFRC personnel.
Bittner entered the Air Force in 1995 through the ROTC program at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Prescott, Ariz., where he was the Outstanding Graduate and earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering. He attended Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training at Reese AFB, flew the F-15E operationally at RAF Lakenheath, United Kingdom, and in the Formal Training Unit at Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C., and served as Flight Commander, Chief of Squadron Safety, and Chief of Long Range Scheduling. In 2004, he was selected to be an F-22A Initial Cadre Instructor Pilot at Tyndall AFB where he served as the Assistant Director of Operations and the 325th Fighter Wing’s Chief of Safety. He separated from Active Duty in 2007 and joined the Air Force Reserve’s 514th Flight Test Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah where he conducted elevated risk functional test flights on the F-22A Raptor and served as the 514th Commander. In addition to his current position in AFRC, he also serves as a 737 First Office for Delta Airlines as a civilian. Bittner is a command pilot with more than 2,600 flying hours, with over 1,400 the F-15E and 1,100 in the F-22A. He has flown combat sorties in Operation’s ALLIED FORCE, NORTHERN WATCH, NOBLE EAGLE, SOUTHERN WATCH, and IRAQI FREEDOM.
1994 Bachelor of Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Prescott, Ariz.
2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2010 Master of Business Administration, Military Management, Trident University, Cypress, Calif.
2014 Air War College, by correspondence
1. March 1995 – February 1997, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training student, 35th and 54th Flying Training Squadrons, Reese AFB, Texas
2. February 1997 – October 1997, F-15E Formal Training Unit student, 334th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
3. October 1997 – October 2000, F-15E pilot, 492nd Fighter Squadron, RAF Lakenheath Air Base, United Kingdom
4. October 2000 – July 2001, F-15E Formal Training Unit Instructor student, 4th Training Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
5. July 2001 – October 2004, F-15E Formal Training Unit Instructor, Chief of Safety, Flight Commander, Chief of Long Range Scheduling, 333rd Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
6. October 2004 – May 2006, F-22A Formal Training Unit Transition Course student and Instructor Pilot, 43rd Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
7. May 2006 – February 2007, Chief of Safety, 325th Fighter Wing, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
8. February 2007 – September 2007, F-22A Evaluator Pilot and Assistant Director of Operations, 43rd Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
9. September 2007 – March 2012, F-22 Flight Commander, 514th Flight Test Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
10. March 2012 – November 2015, Commander, 514th Flight Test Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
11. December 2015 – September 2017, Assistant Director of Operations, 340th Flying Training Group, Joint Base San Antonio, Randolph AFB, Texas
12. October 2017 – Present, Director of Safety, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Flying Cross
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Combat Readiness Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Kosovo Campaign Medal with device
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: 2,600
Aircraft Flown: F-22A, F-15E, T-38C-IFF, T/AT-38, T-37, T-3, 737-7/8/9
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jan. 30, 1995
First Lieutenant Jan. 30, 1997
Captain Jan. 30, 1999
Major May 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 20, 2010
Colonel Dec. 1, 2015
(Current as of October 2017)