PRINT | E-MAIL
Col. Eugene Benjamin Smith III is the Commander, 367th Recruiting Group and Director or Air Force Reserve Command Recruiting Directorate, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command Robins Air Force Base, Georgia. He serves as an advisor to the AFRC Commander, Vice Commander, senior staff, three Numbered Air Force and Wing Commanders on all reserve recruiting matters. He exercises oversight for more than 450 military and civilian personnel at 240 locations world-wide. In addition, he provides direction for Headquarters AFRC Recruiting entities to include three main divisions, the Commander’s’ Support staff, Higher Headquarters liaison teams, and the Commander’s Inspection Program.
Prior to his current assignment, Ben was the Air Force Reserve Advisor to the Commander and President, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base. He assists in providing full spectrum education, research and outreach at every level through professional military education, continuing education and academic degree granting. He assists in leading the intellectual and leadership center, graduating more than 50,000 resident and 120,000 non-resident officers, enlisted and civilian personnel each year. Additionally, he assists with officer commissioning through Officer Training School and ROTC
Col. Smith served 11 years enlisted before he was commissioned in 1996 through the Deserving Airman Commissioning Program (DACP). He is an active guard and reservist with over 33 years of service. He is a graduated Mission Support Group Commander, a two-time Security Forces Squadron Commander, and a graduated Logistics Readiness Squadron Commander. His expertise also includes being a fully qualified Cyberspace Officer, a fully qualified Logistics Readiness Officer, and qualified Inspector General.
1993 Bachelor of Science degree in Pre-Medicine/Psychology, Auburn University, Ala.
1995 Associates Degree in Applied Science, Security Administration, Community College of the AF
1995 Development Dimensions International: Leadership and Organization Development
1996 Franklin Covey: Leadership
1998 AchieveGlobal: Service Leadership
2001 Senn Delaney: Culture
2002 Squadron Officer School, in residence
2007 Air Command and Staff College, in residence
2007 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 AFSO21 Executive Leadership Course, Robins AFB, Ga.
2010 Cyber Transition Course (X-Course), Correspondence
2011 VitalSmarts: Communications
2013 Air War College, Correspondence
1. Mar 1996 – Mar 1999, Combat Information Officer, 610th Security Forces Squadron, ACC, NAS Ft Worth, Texas.
2. Mar 1999 – Oct 2001, Flight Leader, 94th Security Forces Squadron, AETC, Dobbins ARB, Ga.
3. Oct 2001 – Feb 2003, Executive Officer, 908th Mission Support Group, AFRC, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
4. Feb 2003 – Jan 2006, Commander, 908th Security Forces Squadron, AFRC, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
5. Jan 2006 – Nov 2008, Commander, 908th Logistics Readiness Squadron, AFRC, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. Nov 2008 – Jun 2010, Assistant Chief, Readiness/Plans Branch, Security Forces, AFRC, Robins AFB, Ga.
7. Jun 2010 – Feb 2012, Assistant Chief, Operations Branch, Security Forces, AFRC, Robins AFB, Ga.
8. Aug 2010 – Feb 2011, Commander, 451st Expeditionary Security Forces Squadron, Southwest Asia
9. Jul 2011 – Feb 2012, Anti-Terrorism Officer, 438th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia
10. Feb 2012 – May 2014, Chief, Compliance Branch, Security Forces, AFRC, Robins AFB, Ga.
11. May 2014 – Oct 2015, Deputy Commander, 908th Mission Support Group, AFRC, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. Oct 2014 – Mar 2015, Inspector General, 81st Training Wing, AETC, Keesler AFB, Miss.
13. Oct 2015 – Jun 2017, Deputy Chief, Security Forces, AETC, Randolph AFB, Texas.
14. Jun 2017 – Jun 2019, Reserve Advisor, 2nd Air Force, AETC, Keesler AFB, Miss.
15. June 2019 – Jan 2021, Reserve Advisor, Air University, AETC, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
16. Jan 2021 – Present, Commander, 367th Recruiting Group, Robins AFB, Ga.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENT
1. May – Aug 1992, Observer/Communications Specialist, Joint Task Force North (6), Brownsville, Texas.
2. May - Jul 1993, Security/Communication Specialist, Joint Task Force Bravo, Howard AFB, Panama
3. Mar – Jul 1994, Observer/Communication Specialist, Joint Interagency Task Force South (East), Key West, Fla.
4. Jun – Jul 2001, Student, Officer School of the Air Force, Furstenfeldbruck AB, Munich, Germany
5. Nov 2006 – Jan 2007, Student, Fuhrungsakademie der Bundeswehr, Hamburg, Germany
6. Aug 2010 – Feb 2011, Senior Duty Officer, NATO HQ Kandahar, Southwest Asia
7. Jul 2011 – Feb 2012, Anti-Terrorism Officer, NATO Training Mission Afghanistan, Southwest Asia
8. Aug – Sep 2016, Deputy Director, JACCE, 2nd Operational Command, South Korea
9. Feb – Mar 2019, Director, JACCE, 2nd Operational Command, South Korea
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three bronze oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with gold border
Air Force Meritorious Unit Award with Valor device and one bronze oak leaf
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor device and four bronze oak leaf clusters
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with three bronze star devices
Armed Force Expeditionary Medal
Bundeswehr Schutzenschnur in Gold
Das Abzeichen fur Leistungen im Truppendienst in Gold
Distinguished Graduate, Basic Communication Officer Training Course, Keesler AFB, Miss.
Distinguished Graduate, Logistic Readiness Officer Course, Lackland AFB, Texas.
2010 Air Force Central Command Best Small Security Force Organization, 451 ESFS, Southwest Asia
2014 John P. Flynn Inspector General Award (AETC), Keesler AFB, Miss.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Mar. 21, 1996
First Lieutenant Mar. 21, 1998
Captain Sept. 29, 2000
Major Sept. 29, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 29, 2009
Colonel Sept. 12, 2015
(Current as of April 2021)