PRINT | E-MAIL
Lt. Gen. Richard W. Scobee is the Chief of Air Force Reserve, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., and Commander, Air Force Reserve Command, Robins Air Force Base, Georgia. As Chief of Air Force Reserve, he serves as principal adviser on reserve matters to the Secretary of the Air Force and the Air Force Chief of Staff. As Commander of Air Force Reserve Command, he has full responsibility for the supervision of all U.S. Air Force Reserve units around the world.
General Scobee was commissioned in 1986 as a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. He earned his pilot wings as a distinguished graduate of Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot training in 1987. He has served as an F-16 pilot, instructor pilot and flight examiner both domestically and overseas in Germany, South Korea and Egypt. The general has commanded a fighter squadron, operations group, two fighter wings and a numbered air force. Additionally, he deployed as Commander of the 506th Air Expeditionary Group, Kirkuk Regional Air Base, Iraq, in 2008.
Prior to his current assignment, General Scobee, was the Deputy Commander, Air Force Reserve Command, where he was responsible for the daily operations of the command, consisting of approximately over 74,000 Citizen Airmen and more than 300 aircraft among three numbered air forces, 33 flying wings, 10 flying groups and one space wing. He is a command pilot with more than 3,800 flying hours in the F-16, including 248 combat hours.
1986 Bachelor of Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1995 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1997 Master of Business Administration, University of South Carolina
2000 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2005 Air War College, by correspondence
2006 U.S. Air Force Accident/Safety Board President Course, Kirtland AFB, N. M.
2010 Joint Forces Reserve Officers Orientation Course, Joint Forces Command, Norfolk, Va.
2010 Leadership Course, Center for Creative Learning, Greensboro, N.C.
2011 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2014 Dual Status Title 10/32 Joint Task Force Commander Course, Northern Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
2017 Senior Executive in National and International Security, Harvard Kennedy School, Cambridge, Mass.
1. June 1986 - July 1987, student, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot training, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2. August 1987 - October 1987, student, fighter lead-in training, Holloman AFB, N. M.
3. November 1987 - August 1988, student, F-16 Replacement Training Unit, MacDill AFB, Fla.
4. August 1988 - November 1991, F-16 pilot, 526th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
5. November 1991 - February 1993, Operation Location Commander and Air Liaison Officer, 1st Armored Division, Baumholder, Germany
6. March 1993 - May 1997, F-16 Instructor Pilot, 19th and 78th Fighter squadrons, Shaw AFB, S. C.
7. May 1997 - May 1998, F-16 Instructor Pilot, 80th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
8. May 1998 - August 2000, Assistant Director of Operations and F-16 Instructor Pilot, 21st Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
9. August 2000 - April 2005, Assistant Director of Operations and F-16 Instructor Pilot, 301st Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
10. April 2005 - July 2006, Commander, 301st Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
11. July 2006 - June 2007, Commander, 944th Operations Group, Luke AFB, Ariz.
12. July 2007 - April 2009, Commander, 944th Fighter Wing, Luke AFB, Ariz. (April 2008 - November 2008,
Commander, 506th Air Expeditionary Group, Kirkuk Regional Air Base, Iraq)
13. April 2009 - October 2010, Commander, 301st Fighter Wing, Naval Air Station Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base, Texas
14. October 2010 - October 2013, Deputy Director of Operations, Headquarters North American Aerospace Defense Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
15. October 2013 - October 2014, Director, Air Force Reserve Plans, Programs and Requirements, Headquarters Air Force, Washington D.C.
16. October 2014 - May 2017, Commander, Tenth Air Force, NAS Fort Worth JRB, Texas
17. May 2017 – September 2018, Deputy Commander, Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
18. September 2018 – present, Chief of Air Force Reserve, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., and Commander of Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Warner Robins, Ga.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
October 2010 - October 2013, Deputy Director of Operations, Headquarters North American Aerospace
Defense Command, Peterson AFB, Colo., as a brigadier general
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,800, including 248 combat hours
Aircraft flown: F-16
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with silver oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with bronze star
Iraq Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korea Defense Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon - Short with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Overseas Ribbon - Long with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
Air Force Longevity Service Award with three oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with "M" device
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon with bronze star
Air Force Training Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1986
First Lieutenant May 28, 1988
Captain May 28, 1990
Major Feb. 1. 1998
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 12, 2002
Colonel Aug. 9, 2006
Brigadier General Dec. 22, 2010
Major General March 26, 2015
Lieutenant General September 7, 2018
(Current as of September 2018)